Tuesday, July 12, 2011

IVF = Bad Gas Mileage

IVF is not very gas efficient, that's for sure! Once the meds start there are ultrasound appointments and blood draws, typically, every couple of days. With my Dr's office being located in far south Austin (off of Ben White Blvd) and my office being located in far northwest Austin (Parmer and RR 620), I'm definitely putting a few miles on my car running back and forth to appointments and spending far more time than I prefer in Austin traffic as I traverse the city, often times during rush hour.

At my first u/s monitoring appointment (Monday, 7/11) there were 6 actively growing follicles, which measured: 16.5, 12.8 and 9.8 on the left and 15.5, 16.8 and 11.7 on the right (they are considered "mature" and possibly ready to go when they reach 17+).

I'm not thrilled with the response so far but I'm trying to remain optimistic. There were 8 follicles during my initial antral follicle count so I was hoping to get at least that many mature follicles and maybe a couple more but so far it appears there are only 3 on each ovary actively growing.

Since there are a couple of follicles outpacing the others in the cohort (i.e. the 16.5 and 16.8), Dr. K had me go ahead and start my Ganirelix shots as well, which will hold the larger follicles at bay while the smaller ones catch up. I'm hopeful that the Ganirelix may also allow the recruitment of another couple of follicles, but we'll just have to wait and see. With the addition of the Ganirelix that makes a total of 5 shots in the belly every.day. Fun times!

I am, however, pleased with the endometrial lining, which was 7.4 mm. I've had trouble in the past even getting the lining to grow to 7 mm, so to be at 7.4 mm after only 3 days of meds is pretty exciting! Dr. K was really pleased with that as well, he also said the overall shape and look of the lining was a lot better than in the past, so hopefully the delay for the hysteroscopy is going to pay off!!

Next appointment is Wednesday (7/13).

No comments:

Post a Comment